Sunday, July 27, 2008

Faith

We'd been decided for quite awhile that our baby's first name would be Alexa. We were undecided even until a few days after she was born on what her middle name would be. Melissa had pretty much decided it would be Paige, and had already told everyone that's what it was. Around the time Melissa was getting ready to check out of the hospital, the nurses told us we had to decide on a middle name because we couldn't leave without filling out her birth certificate.

It was quite the ordeal at the hospital that day. We were taking suggested names and opinions from everyone. We even took votes from our nurses. Finally, after weighing all the possibilities, we decided on Faith. Before Alexa was born, Melissa went in for a routine checkup. She was still two months away from her due date. Everything seemed to be fine, and the doctor did some routine labwork. The next day, Melissa excercised in the morning as usual, then got a call from the Doctor that she needed to come to the hospital for some additional tests.

Being members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we believe in the Priesthood, and Priesthood blessings. I felt like we should give Melissa a priesthood blessing before going to the hospital. A good friend of mine came over to help with the blessing. In the blessing, I felt Heavenly Father's love strongly for me and Melissa, and I told her that she would be ok, and that the delivery and pregancy would all go well. Just a few hours later at the hospital, we found out that Melissa was seriously ill and would need to deliver very soon. We told our families of the situation, and almost immediately we began to feel God's love for us as friends and family prayed for us. It was amazing how an experience like this made us feel so close to God. We heard of so many people who said they were praying for us and thinking about us, that it really gave us great courage. Never once did Melissa or I feel fear during the entire experience. I was a little scared when I first saw Alexa, but I know without a doubt that prayers were answered, Melissa's blessing was realized, and Heavenly Father's love helped us through.

After all that happened, we felt like her middle name should maybe have a little more meaning. It was our faith in Christ, and the faith of our friends and family that really helped us through. This has changed our lives forever and hopefully her name will always remind us and her of the miracle that happened on 6/19 at 6:19.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Trevor & Melissa,
I don't know how to express the feelings I have for you both. I don't think we'll ever forget the rush of feelings that came over me as we were awaiting news of Melissa and Alexa. My first thoughts and feelings were for Melissa. I've come to love and appreciate her a great deal. I was very worried for her. Someone asked me if I was excited to see my new grand daughter. I responded that I was more concerned about my daughter in law. I knew her already and was very concerned. If Melissa was OK then I could think about a new grand daughter.

I remembered how I felt when Trevor was born to Marcy and I. I recalled the tender feelings that I had then and so many times over the years. They were feelings of gratitude that God would send such a precious child to our home and of thankfulness for his save arrival. I was happy to know that Trevor must now be feeling these same things some 26 years later.

Now that Alexa is here and I've been able to visit her many times I'm coming to love her too. There is such a feeling of peace and love just being around her and her parents. She is truly born of good parents. God is looking approvingly upon you.

What a wonderful family you are. I love you more than I can express. Dad